Chapter 12 — The Choice of Two Worlds
The first star went out.
Then another.
Amelia watched the darkness spread beneath her feet, swallowing the light one point at a time across the impossible glass.
"What happens when they're all gone?"
The first Hart didn't answer right away. Her silver-crowned head tilted, as if she were listening to something far below them.
"When the last one disappears," she said, "the Veil will no longer remember the difference between your world and mine."
Amelia swallowed. "And then?"
"Then there will be no two worlds. Only one, and it will not hold."
Adrian stepped closer. "You said she had a choice."
"She does."
"Then stop speaking in riddles."
The first Hart turned to him, and something shifted behind her ancient eyes — recognition, maybe, or memory.
"You sound like your father."
Adrian went completely still.
Amelia turned toward him. "Your father?"
He said nothing.
"He never told you," the first Hart said.
"This isn't about me."
"Everything is about you, Adrian Vale."
His hand moved on instinct toward his side, reaching for a blade that wasn't there. For the first time since Amelia had known him, he looked unsteady.
The first Hart's gaze returned to Amelia. "The man beside you was born of the Guardians' blood."
"I know that already."
"No." Her voice gentled. "You know what he told you."
A chill moved through Amelia. "Then tell me what he didn't."
"Don't," Adrian said quickly.
She looked at him and saw fear in his eyes — not of the woman in front of them, but of what Amelia was about to learn.
"Why?" she asked him directly.
He had no answer. The first Hart did.
"Because Adrian was not simply born a Guardian." Beneath them, another star vanished. "He was made to serve the Veil."
Amelia's breath caught. "What does that mean?"
Adrian closed his eyes for a moment. When he spoke, his voice had gone quiet, almost tired.
"It means I was never meant to leave Elarion. I was raised inside the Guardians' order. My blood was changed when I was a child — bound to the Veil so I would feel it whenever it weakened."
"And Eleanor?"
His eyes opened. "She was the first person who ever made me want something beyond it."
The first Hart watched them without a word. Amelia felt something twist low in her chest.
"So you weren't just protecting my grandmother."
"No."
"You were assigned to her."
"At first."
"And then you fell in love with her."
"Yes." The answer came without a beat of hesitation, the same as before.
Amelia looked away as the next star disappeared. Six left. Maybe seven — she'd stopped being able to count.
"What happened when she left?"
Adrian's jaw hardened. "I was ordered to bring her back."
"You never told me that."
"I couldn't."
"Why?"
"Because I didn't do it."
Silence dropped between them.
"You let her go."
"Yes."
"And the Guardians?"
"Called it betrayal."
"They still do," the first Hart said softly from behind them.
Amelia turned. "Then why show me any of this?"
"Because the choice in front of you means nothing until you understand him."
She held out her hand again. This time Amelia stepped toward it — and Adrian's fingers closed around her wrist.
"Don't."
She looked down at his hand until he let go.
"Sorry."
"No." She met his eyes. "You don't get to stop me anymore."
Something in his expression broke quietly — not anger. Something closer to surrender.
Amelia faced the first Hart. "What is the choice?"
The ancient woman's gaze lifted to the stars still burning above them. "The Veil is dying because the pact was broken."
"By my grandmother?"
"By love."
"That's not an answer."
"It's the only one there is." She moved slowly across the glass. "The original pact bound two bloodlines together. The Hart line carried the power to command the Veil. The royal line carried the authority to anchor it."
"King Lucien."
"Yes. When Eleanor refused him, the balance weakened."
"That was thirty-two years ago."
"It has taken thirty-two years for the wound to reach the heart."
Another star went dark.
"What happens if I choose Lucien's bloodline?"
"You restore the pact."
"And if I refuse?"
"The Veil collapses. Both worlds merge. Millions die."
Adrian's voice cut through the quiet. "There has to be another way."
"There always is," the first Hart said, and something like hope flared in Amelia's chest.
"What is it?"
The woman turned to her. "You. The Hart blood can replace the broken bond. You can bind the Veil to yourself — become its living anchor."
Adrian went pale. "No."
The first Hart didn't look at him. "She can become the heart."
Amelia remembered Lucien's words to her, weeks ago, that she'd tried to forget. They meant to make you the living heart of Elarion's barrier itself.
Her stomach turned. "That's what the council wanted."
"Yes."
"So my grandmother was right to run."
"She was."
"Then why bring me all the way here?"
"Because they meant to take the choice from you. I am giving it back."
Amelia's pulse pounded in her ears. "If I become the heart, what happens to me?"
The first Hart said nothing. Adrian answered for her.
"You'd be trapped here."
"For how long?"
His eyes held something she'd never seen in them before. "Forever."
The word barely survived leaving his mouth.
Amelia turned back to the first Hart. "And if I don't?"
"Both worlds begin to merge. People die. Millions of them."
She closed her eyes. The choice had stopped being abstract the moment he said forever. One life against everyone else's. Her life.
She opened her eyes again. "And where does love fit into any of this?"
The first Hart looked at Adrian. "That's the last part."
He stiffened.
"The Veil was made through a pact of blood," she said, "but it can only be healed through a choice freely made."
"Freely made by whom?"
"Both of you."
Amelia frowned. "Both?"
The first Hart nodded. "The Veil doesn't only need an anchor. It needs a Guardian willing to bind himself to it."
Adrian's face changed completely. "No."
"You already know what that means."
"I said no."
"It means you would stay with her."
Amelia's breath caught. "Forever?"
"Yes."
Adrian stared at the ancient woman. "You'd bind my life to hers?"
"No." Her voice turned almost unbearably gentle. "I would bind your life to the Veil."
Adrian looked at Amelia, and she understood before he said a word. If she became the heart, he would become the Guardian bound to it. Together they would save both worlds — and neither of them would ever leave this place.
Together. Forever.
It should have terrified her. Instead, something in her chest cracked at the thought of never seeing him walk away from her again — because it would mean never being apart at all.
She stepped closer. "Adrian."
He shook his head. "Don't."
"Look at me."
He did. His silver eyes were too bright.
"I spent thirty-two years trying to keep a promise to Eleanor," he said, voice cracking slightly on her grandmother's name. "I failed her."
"You didn't."
"I did."
"You protected her."
"I let her leave."
"Because she wanted to."
He shut his eyes. Amelia reached for his hand, and this time he let her take it — warm, steady, human, at least for this one moment.
"I won't let you decide this for me," she said.
"I know."
"And I won't let you sacrifice yourself for me either."
"I know."
"Then what will you do?"
He looked at her for a long time before he answered.
"Whatever you choose."
Not a promise. Not quite a confession. Something closer to both.
The first Hart watched them, then looked down. Only three stars remained.
Amelia's ring began to glow — not gold, not silver, but something caught between the two, a color she had never seen before.
The first Hart stepped back. "The Veil has heard you."
"Heard what? I haven't chosen anything."
"You have."
Amelia's heart stopped. The woman pointed down, where the last three stars had stopped fading and instead begun to move — slowly, drawing together until they formed a shape she recognized instantly.
A crescent moon. Seven stars. The symbol on her ring.
But at its center now burned a single point of light.
A heart.
"What does that mean?" Adrian asked.
For the first time, the first Hart looked afraid.
"It means the Veil has made a choice of its own."
A sound rolled through the dark — not a heartbeat this time, but a voice, ancient and vast and fully awake.
The blood remembers.
Amelia's fingers tightened around Adrian's. The first Hart turned sharply toward the darkness.
"No."
The voice came again, closer.
The Guardian remembers.
Adrian doubled over. Amelia caught him.
"Adrian!"
His body went rigid in her arms. Silver light spread beneath his skin, tracing every vein up his hands, his throat. When his eyes opened, they weren't silver anymore.
They were white.
He looked at her, and for one unbearable second, she wasn't certain he could see her at all.
"Amelia."
"I'm here."
His voice came out wrong — distant, layered with something far older underneath it. Then he said the words that drained the color from the first Hart's face.
"The Veil remembers who I was."
Amelia looked at the ancient woman. "What was he?"
She didn't answer.
Adrian did, his eyes never leaving Amelia's face.
"The first Guardian."
The dark split open in a wall of light — and somewhere beyond the Veil, something vast opened its eyes.

Comments
Post a Comment