Chapter 50 — The Face of Betrayal
Adrian's hand slipped out of hers.
"Adrian!"
She caught his wrist before the dark could finish taking him, and felt his fingers go cold under her grip, cold in a way that had nothing to do with temperature.
Then the false Amelia stepped between them, unhurried, certain.
"Don't."
Amelia stared at her. The same eyes stared back. The same face, down to the small scar beneath the left shoulder that Amelia had carried since childhood and never once told anyone the real story of.
But something in it was wrong. Something missing, some small essential thing that Amelia couldn't name and didn't need to, because she could feel the absence of it like a held note that never resolved.
The woman smiled — Amelia's own smile, worn on someone else's certainty.
"You already know which one of us is real."
Amelia's grip tightened on Adrian's cold hand. "Then tell me."
"I don't need to." Her double's eyes slid to Adrian. "He will."
Adrian fought against the darkness climbing his arms. "Don't listen to her."
The false Amelia laughed, soft and knowing. "You always say that."
Something in Amelia's chest twisted. She turned to him anyway. "How do I know you're really you?"
His jaw tightened. "You don't."
The honesty of it startled her more than any reassurance could have.
"You can't know," he went on. "Not by looking. Not by memory."
The false Amelia's smile widened. "See?"
"But you can know what I choose."
Amelia stared at him. "What?"
His silver eyes flickered, fighting something under his own skin. "Ask me something only I would choose. Not something I'd remember. Something I'd pick."
The false Amelia's expression hardened. "That's a trick."
"No." Adrian held Amelia's gaze, steady despite the shadows climbing his throat now. "It's the one thing it can't copy."
The creature inside him stirred visibly, black threading up along his collarbone.
"Ask me."
Amelia swallowed hard and reached for everything they'd survived together — the first doorway, the Crown, the golden thread, the ruined worlds stacked one behind the other. But memories could be copied. Words could be copied. Even love, apparently, could be worn like a mask.
Then she reached past all of it, toward something smaller. Something no prophecy would ever think to mention.
"What did you say to me the first night we met?"
The false Amelia answered without hesitation. "You told me you were afraid."
Amelia looked at her, and something in her chest settled, certain now. "Wrong."
The woman's smile faltered for the first time.
Adrian closed his eyes. "You said I looked like someone who'd already lost everything worth having."
Amelia's breath caught in her throat. "And what did I say back?"
He opened his eyes, found hers.
"You told me I was wrong." He paused, and something almost gentle moved through his expression, even now, even here. "Then give me something worth losing."
The false Amelia's face changed — cracked, just slightly, at the edges.
"No."
Amelia turned fully toward her. "You're not me."
"Of course I am."
"No." Amelia stepped closer, unafraid now in a way she hadn't been a moment ago. "You remember everything I remember. Every word, every place, every wound. But you don't understand any of it."
The woman's eyes went dark. "Careful."
"You know my memories." Amelia lifted her chin. "You don't know my choices. Those are two different things, and you've built your whole self on confusing them."
The false Amelia's face twisted, and the creature screamed through Adrian's throat, a sound that had no business coming from a human mouth. The chamber shook around them.
"Stop!"
The false Amelia raised one hand, and the darkness detonated outward. Adrian was thrown backward, hard, and Amelia ran for him — only to find the woman already standing in her path, faster than anything human should ever move.
A hand closed around Amelia's throat.
"You still don't understand." The false Amelia's face hovered inches from hers. "I am you."
"You're not."
"I lived your life."
"You lived a version of it."
"I lost everything."
"So did I."
"I killed him."
Amelia went still.
The false Amelia smiled, slow and terrible. "And you will too."
The world dissolved around her.
She stood somewhere else — a battlefield, black snow drifting down from a sky the color of a wound that had never closed. Adrian stood before her, blood soaking through his shirt, his sword lying broken at his feet.
"Amelia."
She ran to him. He collapsed into her arms, heavier than he should have been, already fading.
"I'm sorry," he said.
"For what?"
"I couldn't stop it."
She looked down. A blade sat buried in his chest — her blade, her handle, her grip still faintly visible on the hilt.
"No."
The false Amelia's voice rolled through the scene from everywhere at once. "This is what happens when you choose him."
"This isn't real."
"Isn't it?"
The battlefield shifted. Adrian stood before her whole again, smiling, and then he simply wasn't there anymore. He returned as a child, wide-eyed and small. Then as an old man, silver hair and steady hands. Then as the Adrian she knew.
Every version died in front of her, one after another, and every single time Amelia screamed until her throat gave out.
The false Amelia walked calmly through the wreckage of it all. "Love him, and watch him die."
Amelia pressed her hands over her ears. "Stop."
"Choose him, and destroy every world that isn't your own."
"Stop it—"
"Choose the worlds, and lose him forever."
Amelia's knees buckled, and she went down hard.
The creature's voice came from every direction at once, patient and absolute.
"There is no choice without sacrifice."
Amelia breathed hard, ragged, on hands and knees inside the collapsing vision. And then she remembered — not the battlefield, not the blade, but a voice from long before any of this.
The Crown's final words.
I trust you.
She lifted her head.
"The Crown never told me what to choose."
The false Amelia stopped moving. "What?"
"It trusted me to choose." Amelia rose slowly to her feet, steadier than she had any right to be. "That's the difference between us. You need someone to make the choice for you. I don't."
The visions began to fracture, hairline cracks racing across the black sky.
"No," the false Amelia said.
"You need me to be afraid." The battlefield split further, snow freezing mid-fall. "You need me to believe there are only two choices in front of me."
Another crack, wider.
"Adrian, or the worlds."
The sky shattered outright.
"Love, or survival."
The ground broke open beneath them both.
"But there is always another choice. There's always been another one. You just needed me not to look for it."
The false Amelia's scream tore through the collapsing illusion. "THERE ISN'T ONE!"
Amelia stepped toward her anyway, unflinching.
"There is if I make one."
The whole vision came apart at once, like something exhaling.
Amelia opened her eyes back in the chamber.
Adrian lay several feet away, the darkness nearly finished swallowing him whole. The false Amelia stood between them, watching — but something had shifted in the air itself.
A thin golden thread ran from Amelia's open palm toward Adrian's still body. Not the old Crown-thread she remembered from before. Something else. Something new.
The false Amelia stared at it, and for the first time, something like real fear crossed her borrowed face.
"No."
"What is this?" Amelia asked, though some part of her already suspected.
Cael answered from behind her, his voice rough with exhaustion. "Your choice."
He stood beside Eleanor, barely upright, one hand braced against the chamber wall.
"The Crown is gone," he said. "It can't be what's making that."
"Then why is there a thread?"
"Because it isn't the Crown's." His eyes moved to Adrian. "It's yours."
Amelia's heart stopped for a beat. "My what?"
"Your will."
The false Amelia took a step back, urgency cracking through her composure. "Break it."
"Why?"
"Because if it reaches him, you lose him."
Something almost like a smile touched Amelia's mouth. "You just spent an entire vision telling me I had to choose him."
The false Amelia said nothing to that.
Amelia stepped forward, steady now, certain in a way she hadn't let herself be until this exact moment.
"Now you're afraid of my choice."
The golden thread brightened, pulsing once, then again.
Adrian gasped, sudden and sharp. His silver eyes opened.
"Amelia..."
"I'm here."
The darkness wrapped around him began to split and crack, retreating from the light climbing up his arm.
The creature screamed, a sound that came from nowhere and everywhere at once.
"NO."
Adrian reached toward her, fingers straining. "Don't let it decide for you."
She took his hand.
The moment their fingers closed together, the entire chamber erupted with light — pure, blinding, absolute.
The false Amelia screamed, and her body split down the center, skin peeling back to reveal nothing but darkness beneath.
She had never been a woman at all.
She was a doorway. And behind her, something enormous had been waiting the entire time, patient, immense, finally opening its eyes.
The First King raised his sword. "Everyone — back!"
The false Amelia turned toward Amelia one last time, her face no longer even attempting to hold its human shape.
"You think you've won?"
Amelia held Adrian's hand tighter, grounding herself in the warmth of it.
"No."
Behind the false Amelia, the thing in the dark opened its eyes fully.
"I think we're finally going to find out what happens when I stop choosing out of fear."
The false Amelia's ruined face curved into something that might once have been a smile.
"Then choose."
Amelia looked at Adrian. He looked back.
Neither of them spoke. Neither of them needed to.
Together, they stepped forward.
And the Door opened.

Comments
Post a Comment