Skip to main content

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 20

   Chapter 20 — Eleanor's Last Warning "Not yet." The words stopped everything. The Crown froze above Amelia and Adrian. The Hollow went still. Even the First King seemed to forget how to breathe. Amelia stared into the light surrounding them. "Grandmother?" Nothing. Then the voice came again, softer. "Amelia, listen to me." Her chest tightened. "Where are you?" Adrian turned to her. "You hear her too?" She nodded. The first Hart looked like she'd seen a ghost. "You can't be here," the ancient woman said. "I am not," Eleanor's voice answered from somewhere beyond the Veil. "Then where are you?" A pause. "Between." The word sent a chill through Amelia. "Between what?" "Life and death." The Crown flickered. The Hollow recoiled, and suddenly Amelia understood why the first Hart had looked so afraid. "She's part of the Veil." The ancient woman closed ...

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 16

  

Chapter 16 — The Guardian's Choice

Darkness swallowed them.

Not the ordinary absence of light Amelia had grown used to inside the Veil, but something deeper — a darkness that erased distance, sound, even the sensation of having a body at all.

She couldn't see Adrian. Couldn't see the first Hart. Couldn't see Caelan. She couldn't even feel the glass beneath her feet anymore.

Then she heard one thing.

His voice.

"Amelia."

She turned toward it. "Adrian?"

"I'm here."

Relief hit her hard enough that her knees nearly buckled. She reached out blindly, and her fingers found his — warm, solid, real. She held on like it was the only thing keeping her tethered to anything at all.

Then the darkness spoke.

Guardian.

His hand tightened around hers.

Choose.

Amelia's heart slammed against her ribs. "Choose what?"

No answer came. She looked toward him, though she could barely make out the shape of his face.

"Choose me," she whispered.

He went completely still.

"Amelia."

"I don't mean the Queen. I don't mean the Veil. I mean me."

His fingers tightened further. "You don't know what you're asking."

"Then tell me."

"I can't."

"Why?"

"Because if I choose you, I don't know what happens to you."

She swallowed. "And if you don't?"

Silence. That was answer enough.

The dark around them began to shift. A pale light appeared in the distance, then another, and suddenly Amelia could see them both — two worlds, not as places on a map, but as memory itself.

Her world rose first: Blackwood Manor beneath an ordinary moon, her grandmother's kitchen, the old books stacked by the fireplace, a cup of tea gone cold beside an empty chair. She saw herself as a child, running through the garden while Eleanor watched from the porch.

Then Elarion rose beside it — Mara's village, the mountains, the palace, the forest where Adrian had first found her. The two worlds sat side by side, separated by a thin wall of light.

The Veil. And cracks were already spreading across it.

"What happens if it breaks?" Amelia asked.

"They merge," Adrian said quietly.

"And if it holds?"

"You become its Queen."

"That's not what I asked." She already knew what he meant. "What happens to you?"

He looked away. "I become its Guardian."

"For how long?"

His silence stretched too long.

"Adrian."

"Forever."

The word hurt more than she'd braced for.

She stepped closer. "So that's it. I become the Queen, you become the Guardian, and we're trapped here forever."

"Yes."

"And everyone else lives."

"Yes."

She looked toward the two worlds hanging in the dark. "Millions of people survive."

"Yes."

"Then why do you look like you're about to lose everything?"

His eyes finally met hers. "Because I am."

Her breath caught.

He drew a slow breath. "If you become the Queen, you'll stop being entirely human. You'll feel the Veil constantly — every fracture, every death near it, every crossing between worlds."

She went cold. "And you?"

"I'll feel you."

"That's the bond."

"Yes."

"For eternity."

"Yes."

A bitter laugh escaped her. "So the Veil gets exactly what it wants."

"No." His voice firmed. "The Veil gets a Guardian and a Queen. But I don't want to be bound to you because something told me to be." He stepped closer, close enough that she could feel the warmth off him even in the dark. "I want to be bound to you because I choose you."

The darkness trembled. Somewhere far beyond them, something enormous seemed to inhale.

The Crown had heard him.

Tears burned behind Amelia's eyes. "You know what you're saying."

"Yes."

"You could lose your freedom."

"I lost that a long time ago." His voice cracked slightly. "When Eleanor left, I thought my punishment was living without her. I was wrong. My punishment was believing I'd never get the chance to choose again."

He reached for her face. This time she didn't step back. His fingers found her cheek — warm, careful, entirely human.

"Now I do."

Light erupted through the Veil, and the darkness vanished.

Amelia found herself back in the chamber. The first Hart had dropped to her knees. Caelan had fallen against a stone pillar, his face twisted with disbelief. And above them, the Crown had fully opened — not a creature, not a person, but an enormous eye made of light and shadow, filling the space where the darkness used to be.

It looked at Amelia. Then at Adrian.

The Guardian has chosen.

The first Hart's head snapped up. "No."

"What?" Amelia turned to her.

The ancient woman had gone pale. "You cannot choose each other. That was never the choice being offered."

Caelan straightened slowly, something close to triumph creeping back into his face. "Exactly."

Adrian's blade flared to life in his hand. "What did you do?"

"Nothing."

"Then explain."

Caelan's gold eyes moved to Amelia. "The Crown doesn't want your love."

"Then what does it want?"

"Your obedience."

The Crown pulsed, and the chamber shuddered around them. The first Hart rose unsteadily to her feet.

"Caelan is right about one thing," she said. "The Crown cannot be defeated by love alone."

"Then what did Eleanor actually discover?" Amelia asked.

Grief moved across the first Hart's face. "That it can only be defeated by choice."

Amelia's stomach tightened. "I thought the choice was whether I become its Queen."

"No." The first Hart looked at Adrian, then back at her. "The choice is whether you become its Queen willingly."

"What's the difference?"

"Everything." She stepped closer. "If you accept the Crown out of fear of what happens if you refuse, you become its servant." She gestured toward the vast eye above them. "If you accept it because you choose your own fate, you become something else entirely."

"What?"

The ancient woman hesitated. "The first Queen."

The ring burned against Amelia's finger. "The first Queen wasn't a ruler."

"No."

"Then what was she?"

"She was the one who told the Crown what to do."

Silence dropped over the chamber. Adrian's eyes narrowed. "Then why didn't you tell us any of this before?"

"Because the Crown had to hear Amelia choose first, on her own."

Caelan's expression darkened. "You've already lost."

The first Hart turned to face him fully. "Have I?"

Caelan lifted a hand, and the shadows behind him began to move. Amelia recognized them instantly — the creatures from Blackwood Manor. Dozens, then hundreds, pouring through the cracks in the Veil like living pieces of the dark itself.

Adrian stepped in front of her. "Stay back."

She almost smiled despite everything. "You really haven't learned, have you?"

He glanced at her, and she moved to stand beside him instead. "I'm not staying behind you."

His mouth curved, just slightly. "I was hoping you'd say that."

The creatures surged forward. Adrian's blade burst into light. Amelia lifted her hand, and the Crown answered — every creature froze mid-motion, not one of them moving another inch.

Amelia stared at them and felt it: their fear, their hunger, their tether to the Veil. And then she understood.

They weren't invading. They were running. Running from something behind them — something even they were afraid of.

Her eyes widened. "Adrian."

"What?"

"They're not here for me."

As one, the creatures turned to face the darkness they'd come from. Something moved beyond them.

Caelan's face went white. "No."

"What is it?" Amelia demanded.

He didn't answer. The first Hart did.

"The thing the Crown was built to contain."

The darkness split open, and a sound rolled out of it — low, ancient, old enough to make every stone in the chamber tremble. Adrian's grip tightened on his blade. Caelan stepped back, and for the first time all night the man who'd seemed untouchable looked genuinely afraid.

"That's not possible."

Amelia stared into the widening dark. "What is it?"

Caelan's answer came out as barely a whisper.

"The First King."

The Crown pulsed overhead. Then the voice came — not from the darkness, not from the Veil, but from everywhere at once.

My Queen.

Amelia's blood ran cold. The creatures dropped to their knees around them. Adrian looked at her, and somewhere beyond the broken Veil, a crown of gold rose slowly out of the dark.

The first Hart whispered, "He's awake."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog