Skip to main content

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 40

   Chapter 40 — The Night They Were Forgotten Something behind the door was burning. Amelia couldn't understand what she was seeing. A younger version of himself stood in the middle of the collapsed room, blood streaking down one side of his face, one hand clutched tightly in Adrian's. Beside him, Adrian looked only eighteen years old. Her clothes were torn. Her silver eyes gleamed with fear. And behind them— something enormous is burning. That's not fire. It has no flame. There is no smoke. It burned with white light surrounded by absolute darkness, as if two opposing worlds had been forced together and neither remained intact. Amelia whispered, "What is that?" Adrian didn't answer. He stared at the younger version of himself. "I remember this." "Then tell me." "I can't." "Why?" "Because this is the part they have taken from me." The black door remained open. The memories behind it continue. Young Amelia t...

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 20

  

Chapter 20 — Eleanor's Last Warning

"Not yet."

The words stopped everything. The Crown froze above Amelia and Adrian. The Hollow went still. Even the First King seemed to forget how to breathe.

Amelia stared into the light surrounding them. "Grandmother?"

Nothing. Then the voice came again, softer.

"Amelia, listen to me."

Her chest tightened. "Where are you?"

Adrian turned to her. "You hear her too?"

She nodded. The first Hart looked like she'd seen a ghost.

"You can't be here," the ancient woman said.

"I am not," Eleanor's voice answered from somewhere beyond the Veil.

"Then where are you?"

A pause. "Between."

The word sent a chill through Amelia. "Between what?"

"Life and death."

The Crown flickered. The Hollow recoiled, and suddenly Amelia understood why the first Hart had looked so afraid.

"She's part of the Veil."

The ancient woman closed her eyes. "Yes."

"You knew," Adrian said.

"I knew she hadn't fully passed beyond it."

"You let us believe she was dead."

"I believed it too."

The Crown pulsed again, and Eleanor's voice sharpened into clarity.

"I did not die when you thought I did."

Amelia's eyes burned. "You knew?"

"I knew enough to hide."

"From who?"

Silence. Then—

"From the Crown."

The First King stepped forward. "Impossible."

"You always did underestimate me, Lucien," Eleanor said, her voice gone cold.

The king froze. Amelia stared at him. "Lucien?"

His face changed — not fear. Something worse. Recognition.

"You knew my grandmother was alive."

"I knew she might be."

"That's not the same thing."

"No."

"Did you ever look for her?"

He lowered his gaze. "I did."

"Why?"

"Because she knew how to stop me."

The Crown trembled above Amelia. "Then tell me how."

The First King said nothing. Eleanor did.

"You cannot stop the Hollow by defeating it."

Amelia looked at the tear in the Veil. "Then what do we do?"

"You close the door."

"With the Crown," Adrian said.

"No."

The Crown dimmed. "Then with what?"

"With the thing the First King took from you."

Adrian went pale. "What?"

The first Hart whispered the answer. "His choice."

"My choice?"

"Your free will was taken when the first binding was made," Eleanor said.

His hands curled into fists. "The binding that made me the Guardian."

"Yes."

"And if I break it?"

"The Crown will be free."

Amelia's breath caught. "And the Hollow?"

"Free too."

Silence. Adrian looked at her. "So we're trapped."

"No." She turned toward the Crown. "If the Crown is bound to the Hollow, and the Guardian is bound to the Crown..." Her thoughts raced ahead of her. "What if we break all three?"

The first Hart's face changed. "No."

"Why?"

"Because the Veil would collapse."

"Unless something replaces it."

The ancient woman went still. Adrian understood first. "Amelia."

She looked at him. "If we become the new anchor."

He shook his head immediately. "No."

"You said the Crown needs a Guardian."

"Yes."

"And it needs a Queen."

"Yes."

"Then maybe it doesn't need the old Crown at all."

The First King stepped forward. "You don't understand what you're suggesting. If you destroy the Crown, you destroy the boundary between worlds."

"Unless I become the boundary."

His face hardened. "You would stop being human."

Amelia's stomach turned. "Completely?"

He hesitated. "Eventually."

Adrian moved toward her. "No."

"We're not doing this," she said, matching his tone.

"Adrian—"

"You don't get to sacrifice yourself."

"And neither do you."

"I'm not."

"You were about to."

He opened his mouth. Nothing came out.

She stepped closer, gentler now. "We've spent our whole lives letting other people decide what we're supposed to become." She looked at the First King, then the first Hart, then the Crown above them. "I'm done."

The Hollow shifted, hundreds of eyes turning on her at once.

Queen.

She looked straight into it. "No."

The word echoed through the chamber. The Hollow recoiled.

"I am not your Queen." The Crown pulsed. "I am not your servant." The First King stared at her. "And I am not your weapon."

The light around Amelia changed. The Crown began to crack.

"Amelia," Adrian said, eyes wide.

She reached for his hand. "I don't know what's going to happen."

"Neither do I."

"Are you afraid?"

"Yes."

She smiled, faint but real. "Good."

"Good?"

"It means we're still choosing."

His fingers closed around hers just as the Crown cracked again — and Eleanor's voice returned, urgent now.

"Amelia, there's one thing you have to know."

"What?"

"The Hollow didn't come because you opened the Veil."

Amelia froze. "What?"

"It came because someone called it."

Every eye in the chamber turned to the First King. He went completely still.

"My King..." Caelan whispered.

The First King looked at the Hollow, then at Amelia. "I didn't call it."

"Not you," Eleanor said, sharper now.

The chamber fell silent. Amelia's blood ran cold. "Then who?"

Eleanor didn't answer. The Crown went dark all at once. The Hollow stopped moving. Adrian's grip on her hand tightened.

"Amelia."

"What?"

"Something's wrong."

She looked toward the tear — and there was someone standing inside it. A figure. Human. Female. Long dark hair, bare feet, a face Amelia would have known anywhere.

She stopped breathing. "Grandmother?"

The woman lifted her head. It was Eleanor — but young. Much younger than Amelia had ever seen her. Twenty, maybe less. She stepped through the tear.

The first Hart stumbled back. "No."

"Eleanor," the First King said, barely a whisper.

Adrian stared at her like the dead had just walked back into the world.

Eleanor looked at him, then at Amelia, and smiled — not the smile Amelia remembered from childhood, but one worn thin with exhaustion, grief, and fear all at once.

"Hello, sweetheart."

Amelia's eyes filled instantly. "Grandmother."

Eleanor lifted a hand. "Don't come any closer."

"Why?"

She glanced back over her shoulder. Something enormous shifted in the dark behind her. Her expression changed.

"Because I'm not alone."

Every one of the Hollow's eyes opened at once, and from behind Eleanor a new voice rose — young, male, human, and terrifyingly familiar.

"You were never supposed to find her."

Adrian went rigid, the color draining out of his face.

"Adrian?" Amelia said.

He couldn't answer.

The voice came again. "Because she isn't your grandmother."

Eleanor's face twisted with grief — and Adrian whispered the words before he seemed to realize he was speaking them at all.

"That's my mother."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog