Skip to main content

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 50

   Chapter 50 — The Face of Betrayal Adrian's hand slipped out of hers. " Adrian! " She caught his wrist before the dark could finish taking him, and felt his fingers go cold under her grip, cold in a way that had nothing to do with temperature. Then the false Amelia stepped between them, unhurried, certain. "Don't." Amelia stared at her. The same eyes stared back. The same face, down to the small scar beneath the left shoulder that Amelia had carried since childhood and never once told anyone the real story of. But something in it was wrong. Something missing, some small essential thing that Amelia couldn't name and didn't need to, because she could feel the absence of it like a held note that never resolved. The woman smiled — Amelia's own smile, worn on someone else's certainty. "You already know which one of us is real." Amelia's grip tightened on Adrian's cold hand. "Then tell me." "I don't need to....

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 27

 

Chapter 27 — The Memory Beneath the World

There was no ground. No sky. No sound.

Amelia fell through the dark with Adrian's hand locked around hers, unable to tell whether they'd been falling for seconds or centuries. No wind, no gravity, no sense of time at all — only darkness pressing in from every direction.

"Adrian!"

"I'm here." His voice sounded close. Too close. She still couldn't see him.

"Don't let go."

"I won't."

Something pulled hard at her fingers. Adrian's grip tightened. "Amelia. Whatever happens, don't let go."

"I said I won't."

The dark shifted, and the world appeared — not around them, but inside them. Amelia gasped as memories tore through her mind all at once: a field beneath two moons, silver trees, Aurelia laughing, Seris crying, a young Adrian running through tall grass, the Hollow small and childlike beside him.

Then a woman she didn't recognize — not at first. She stood alone under the First World's endless sky, holding a newborn against her chest. Silver hair. White eyes. A face too familiar to be a stranger's.

Amelia stopped breathing. "That's..."

"My mother," Adrian said beside her.

The memory shifted. The woman placed the child into someone else's arms — Lucien, younger, human, terrified.

"You can't take him."

"I have to."

"No."

"He's the only one who can survive it."

"Survive what?"

"The Hollow."

She looked toward the dark, where the small creature stood watching, waiting. It whispered.

Brother.

Adrian flinched.

"You're hearing it," Amelia said.

"Yes."

The Hollow appeared again — small, almost human — and this time Amelia noticed something new: a silver thread connecting it to the child. To Adrian.

"What is that?"

"I don't know."

The thread pulsed, once, twice, and understanding hit her all at once. "They were connected. You and the Hollow. Before the Guardian." Before the Veil, before the Crown, before any of it — the child and the Hollow had been bound together.

Not as enemies.

As siblings.

Her chest tightened. "You were born together."

The memory moved on. The child grew, the Hollow grew alongside him, playing, fighting, learning together — and whenever the child was afraid, the Hollow was afraid too. Whenever the Hollow was hurt, the child cried. They weren't two beings.

They were two halves of the same one.

Until Seraphine appeared at the edge of the field, watching. Aurelia approached her.

"You shouldn't be here."

"I wanted to see it."

"See what?"

"The thing that will destroy us."

Aurelia looked toward the Hollow. "It won't."

"You don't know that."

"I know it."

"You love it."

"Yes."

"You trust it."

"Yes."

"Then you're a fool."

The memory shattered. Amelia staggered, and Adrian caught her.

"What happened?"

"Seraphine. She was afraid of the Hollow before it ever became what it is."

"Why?"

"I don't know."

Another memory opened. Seraphine stood alone at the edge of the First World, the white shard in her hands — not held like a weapon, but like a gift. Someone stood behind her, face hidden from view.

"What are you doing?"

"Giving it a choice."

"The Hollow doesn't understand choice."

"Then I'll teach it."

The figure stepped closer. "Seraphine."

She turned. Amelia still couldn't see a face — only black eyes.

"You're not supposed to be here."

The figure smiled. "Neither are you."

Seraphine lowered the shard. "What do you want?"

"Freedom."

"From what?"

"From the Father."

Amelia froze. "The Father?"

The figure nodded. "He thinks he created us."

"Who are you?" Seraphine asked.

It leaned closer. "The first thing the Hollow ever dreamed."

The memory collapsed. Amelia turned to Adrian. "That wasn't the Father."

"No. Something else."

"The Father wasn't the first."

Correct, a voice said, and Amelia spun around.

The Father stood a few steps away — not the enormous being from the First World, but a version of him that was human. Young. Beautiful. Almost ordinary. Somehow that frightened her more.

"You."

"Now you see."

Adrian moved in front of her. "Get away from her."

"Always protecting."

"You're afraid of us."

"No." His eyes moved to Amelia. "I'm afraid of what you'll remember."

The dark shifted into a chamber — an older one, the first chamber. At its center stood the first Queen, Aurelia, and beside her the first Guardian. Between them, the Hollow — no longer a child, and crying.

Aurelia held out her hand. "Come."

The Hollow stepped toward her, but the first Guardian moved between them. "No."

"Why?"

"Because I heard it."

"Heard what?"

"The future."

Amelia's blood ran cold. "What did he hear?"

The Father didn't answer. The memory did, a voice filling the chamber.

If the worlds remain together, the Hollow will consume them.

"Who said that?" Aurelia asked.

The Guardian pointed at the dark. "The Father."

Amelia looked at the young man standing beside them — smiling, though something was wrong. His shadow moved on its own, independent of him, and behind it something enormous was breathing.

"The Father wasn't creating the warning," Amelia whispered. "He was delivering it."

"Because I knew what would happen," he said.

"You lied."

"No."

"You manipulated them."

"Yes."

"You made Aurelia afraid," Adrian said, hard.

"I showed her the truth."

"You showed her one possible future."

"And fear did the rest."

The memory shifted again. Aurelia stood alone in the field, the first Guardian beside her, the Hollow watching from a distance.

"You have to choose," she whispered.

"I choose you," he said.

Amelia's heart stopped. The words sounded exactly like Adrian's.

But Aurelia shook her head. "No."

"You don't understand."

"I understand enough."

She raised her hands, and the Veil began to form. The Guardian screamed. The Hollow screamed with him. The First World shattered.

Amelia closed her eyes. "No."

The memory kept going anyway — the Guardian vanishing into the Veil, the Hollow collapsing into darkness, Aurelia falling to her knees. And the Father, watching.

Satisfied.

Adrian's breathing turned ragged. "He caused it."

"Not exactly," Amelia said, looking at him.

"Good," the Father said.

She turned back to him. "You didn't create the Hollow."

"No."

"You didn't create the Veil."

"No."

"You created the fear that made them choose it."

His smile faded. "You are learning."

"Then what did the Hollow create?"

Silence. His eyes drifted past her, into the dark, where something waited. A shape emerged — not enormous, not monstrous. A woman. Silver hair, white eyes, the same face from the oldest memory.

Adrian stopped breathing. "My mother."

But this time she wasn't a memory. She was standing there, alive.

"Hello, Adrian."

His face crumpled. "You're dead."

"I was."

"Then how—"

"I was brought here before I could leave."

"By who?"

Her eyes moved to the Father. "By him."

He looked away.

"Why?" Amelia asked.

"Because I knew the truth."

"What truth?"

She reached for Amelia's hand, and the instant their fingers touched, everything unfolded at once — the first world, the first Crown, the first Veil, the first Hollow, and one final secret underneath all of it.

The Hollow had never wanted to destroy the worlds. It only wanted to go home. But there was no home left, because the First World had been destroyed from the inside — not by the Hollow, not by Seraphine, not by Aurelia.

By the Father.

Amelia pulled her hand back. "You destroyed it."

He said nothing.

"You destroyed the First World," Adrian said.

"I saved what could be saved."

"You destroyed my mother."

"I gave her purpose."

"You turned the Hollow into a monster."

"I gave it a shape."

"You made all of this."

His eyes hardened. "I made the first mistake."

Amelia's pulse pounded. "What mistake?"

"Believing I could control love."

The darkness began to collapse around them. Adrian grabbed her hand. "What's happening?"

His mother looked up at the breaking sky. "The memory is ending."

"Then how do we get out?"

Her eyes found Amelia's. "You don't. You were brought here for a reason." The Father's smile returned behind her. "You were brought here to remember."

The dark split open, blinding light pouring through — and Amelia saw the final image: Blackwood Manor, Elarion, the First World. Three worlds, not two, and at the center of all three stood Amelia, Adrian beside her, and a fourth figure standing behind them both.

A woman with black eyes. Seraphine. She lifted a hand, and the Hollow bowed.

The Father disappeared, and Seraphine whispered:

"Now choose."

Amelia looked at Adrian. He looked back. Neither of them moved.

Then the memory shattered, and they woke somewhere neither of them had ever seen — a single white door standing before them, perfect, marked with three symbols. A crown. A hollow. A heart.

"What is this?" Adrian asked.

Amelia reached for the handle. Before she could touch it, a voice came from the other side.

Her own voice. Older. Broken. Terrified.

"Whatever you do..."

She froze.

"Do not open this door."

"Why?" Adrian asked.

The voice answered.

"Because I'm what's waiting on the other side."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog