Skip to main content

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 40

   Chapter 40 — The Night They Were Forgotten Something behind the door was burning. Amelia couldn't understand what she was seeing. A younger version of himself stood in the middle of the collapsed room, blood streaking down one side of his face, one hand clutched tightly in Adrian's. Beside him, Adrian looked only eighteen years old. Her clothes were torn. Her silver eyes gleamed with fear. And behind them— something enormous is burning. That's not fire. It has no flame. There is no smoke. It burned with white light surrounded by absolute darkness, as if two opposing worlds had been forced together and neither remained intact. Amelia whispered, "What is that?" Adrian didn't answer. He stared at the younger version of himself. "I remember this." "Then tell me." "I can't." "Why?" "Because this is the part they have taken from me." The black door remained open. The memories behind it continue. Young Amelia t...

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 29

 

Chapter 29 — The First Dream

"Awake."

The word vanished, and for several seconds nothing happened.

Then Amelia opened her eyes. She was no longer inside the chamber of memories — she was somewhere else entirely. Somewhere silent.

Adrian lay beside her, unmoving.

"Adrian?"

His eyes were open. White. Completely white.

She touched his face. "Adrian."

He blinked, and slowly the silver returned. "I'm here."

Relief flooded through her. "Where are we?"

He looked around. "I don't know."

No field. No chamber. No Father. No Hollow. Only darkness stretching endlessly in every direction — until Amelia noticed something beneath their feet.

A thin line of light, running through the dark like a crack in glass.

Adrian crouched beside it. "This isn't a crack."

"What is it?"

"A memory."

Amelia knelt. Inside the light, something moved — a woman, black hair, white eyes, the same one from the final memory. This time she wasn't watching them. She was watching something else: a younger version of the Hollow, small and afraid, standing in front of her.

She knelt down to it. "You don't have to be alone."

"Who are you?" the Hollow asked.

"I'm the first dream."

Amelia's chest tightened. "That's what it called her."

"She came before the Hollow," Adrian said, staring at the memory.

The woman reached toward the creature, but before she could touch it, another figure stepped between them — the Father, young, barely more than a shadow.

"Leave it."

"You cannot protect it forever."

"I can try."

"You were created to protect it."

"Yes."

"Then you already understand."

"Understand what?"

Her eyes moved to the Hollow. "It doesn't need protection. It needs freedom."

The memory flickered as she rose. "Everything it dreams becomes real."

"I know."

"And everything it fears becomes real too."

His expression changed. "That's impossible."

"No." She stepped closer. "That's the problem."

The memory shattered, and Amelia gasped. The darkness around them began to move — not like smoke, but like water. Something approaching.

Adrian stood immediately. "Stay behind me."

"No," Amelia said.

"Amelia—"

"We've done this before. You standing in front of me." She stepped beside him instead. "And me pretending that's enough."

His expression softened. "Then stay beside me."

"I will."

The darkness stopped. A voice came from everywhere at once.

"Good."

Amelia froze. Not the Father's voice, not Seraphine's, not the Hollow's.

The woman's.

"You're learning."

"Show yourself," Adrian said, raising a hand.

A figure stepped out of the dark. Black hair, white eyes, no crown, no weapons — almost ordinary, almost human. But the darkness bent around her wherever she moved.

"Who are you?" Amelia asked.

"That's the question everyone asks."

"Then answer it."

"I had a name once."

"What was it?"

Her eyes moved to Adrian. "Names are dangerous. Once something has a name, people believe they understand it."

"Then give us the truth," he said.

She smiled faintly. "I am called many things."

"Seraphine?"

"No."

"The Father?"

"No."

"The Hollow?"

"No."

"Then what?"

Her gaze returned to Amelia. "I am the Dreamer."

The word seemed to make the darkness itself tremble.

"The first dream," Amelia said.

"Yes."

"You created the Hollow?"

"No."

"You existed before it."

"Yes."

"Then what did you create?"

She looked around them. "This."

The darkness changed into a world — not the First World, not Elarion, not the human world. Something older. A place without names, without people, without death. Completely empty. The Dreamer walked through it alone.

"I was the first consciousness. There was nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Nothing but me."

"Then why did you dream?"

She stopped walking. "Because nothing was lonely."

A chill moved through Amelia. "So you created the Hollow."

"No." She looked toward the darkness. "I dreamed of someone who could dream with me."

The Hollow appeared — small, almost beautiful, almost human.

"The Hollow," Amelia said.

"Yes."

"But you said you didn't create it."

"I didn't."

"Then where did it come from?"

"It came from my loneliness. It was not created. It was born — from the space between my thoughts."

Amelia stared at the creature. "And the Father?"

"He came later. From the Hollow."

"The First World?"

"The Hollow's dream."

"The Veil?"

"The people's fear."

"The Crown?"

"Their attempt to control that fear."

"And Seraphine?"

The Dreamer's smile faded. "Her choice."

"You knew Seraphine."

"I knew everyone."

"Then why didn't you stop her?"

"Because I don't control choices."

"That's convenient," Adrian said, stepping forward.

"Do you think so?"

"You let all of this happen."

"No." Her voice went quiet. "I watched it happen. There's a difference."

"What's the difference?"

"Control."

The word hung in the air. She turned to Amelia. "I never wanted the worlds. I never wanted the Crown. I never wanted the Veil. I never wanted the Hollow to become what it became."

"Then why are you here?"

"Because you opened the door."

Amelia's chest tightened. "Seris said the First World was the beginning."

"She was wrong."

"The Father said the Hollow was the beginning."

"He was wrong too."

"Then what is?"

The Dreamer stepped closer. "You."

Amelia stopped breathing. "Me?"

"Not you alone." Her gaze moved to Adrian. "Both of you."

"We didn't exist before the First World," Adrian said.

"No."

"Then how could we be the beginning?"

"You weren't." She smiled. "You're the continuation."

The dark shifted again, and Amelia saw countless versions of herself — a Queen, a child, an old woman, a warrior, a woman standing alone, a woman beside Adrian, a woman without him. In every version, she was making a choice. Adrian appeared beside each one — sometimes staying, sometimes leaving, sometimes dying, sometimes ruling, sometimes destroying everything alongside her.

Amelia looked away. "No."

The visions stopped. "Now you understand," the Dreamer said.

"Understand what?"

"Why the Hollow wants you."

"Because I can choose?"

"Because you can choose without becoming it."

"And Adrian?"

"The same."

He looked down at his own hands. "Why can I hear the Hollow?"

"Because you are its memory."

"Why am I its lock?"

"Because someone had to remember what it was."

"Who made me?"

The Dreamer said nothing. Adrian stepped closer. "Who made the Guardian?"

Finally: "You did."

"What?" Amelia said.

The Dreamer gestured toward the darkness, and a memory rose — Seris, standing beside the Hollow, crying. The young Adrian stood in front of her. Not the Adrian Amelia knew. The first Guardian.

Seris touched his forehead. "I can't save you."

"Then don't."

She cried harder. "Why?"

"Because if I become the lock, you won't be alone."

Tears filled Amelia's eyes. "He chose it."

"His first choice."

"And every Guardian after him inherited it."

"Yes."

"Then Adrian's been carrying someone else's choice his whole life."

"Yes."

Adrian closed his eyes, silver light beneath his skin beginning to fracture. Amelia reached for him. "Adrian."

He opened his eyes. "I don't want it. The Guardian." He took her hand. "I don't want to be anyone's lock."

The darkness trembled. "Then don't," the Dreamer said.

"Can he just refuse?" Amelia asked.

"Yes."

"What happens if he does?"

"The Hollow becomes free."

"And the worlds?" Adrian asked.

"They lose their protector."

"Then who protects them?"

"No one."

Silence. "That's what you wanted," Amelia said.

"No."

"Then what do you want?"

The Dreamer stepped closer. "I want you to understand the difference between freedom and abandonment."

A chill went through Amelia. "The Hollow wants freedom."

"Yes."

"But if we free it, people die."

"Possibly."

"And if we keep it imprisoned, it suffers."

"Yes."

"So there's no perfect choice."

"There never was."

Amelia looked at Adrian. He was watching her — waiting, not telling her what to choose. For the first time, she understood how much that mattered. The Dreamer had shown her every possible future, but Adrian wasn't choosing for her. He was only standing beside her, the same way she was standing beside him.

She turned back to the Dreamer. "I won't choose for the Hollow."

"Good."

"I won't choose for Adrian."

"Good."

"I won't choose for the worlds."

Her smile disappeared. "Then what will you choose?"

Amelia took a breath. "I'll choose what I can live with."

The darkness went completely still. Adrian squeezed her hand. The Dreamer's white eyes widened, and for the first time she looked afraid.

"That answer," she whispered.

"What about it?"

"That is the one choice I could never make."

"Why?"

She stepped back — because behind her, something had appeared. A tiny figure. The Hollow. But it wasn't alone. Someone held its hand: Aurelia, alive, young, terrified. Behind them stood Seraphine, then Seris, then the Father. All of them watching Amelia.

Not the Dreamer.

Her.

The Dreamer turned, her expression breaking. "No."

The figures walked forward, one step at a time. "What's happening?" Amelia asked.

"I don't know," Adrian said.

The Hollow lifted its head, voice small. "Mother."

Amelia froze.

"Don't call her that," the Dreamer said sharply.

"Why?" the Hollow asked.

"Because she isn't."

It frowned. "She chose us."

The Dreamer's face went pale. "That's impossible."

The Hollow took another step. "She chose without being told."

The Dreamer backed away. "No."

The Crown's fragments reappeared around Amelia — but this time they didn't form a crown. They formed a door.

"What did you do?" the Dreamer demanded.

"Nothing," Amelia said.

Adrian smiled faintly. "That's the point."

The door opened onto a place that was neither the First World, nor Elarion, nor the human world. A blank world, with no memories yet. Waiting.

"You've created a fourth choice," the Dreamer whispered.

Amelia looked through the doorway. "No." She tightened her grip on Adrian's hand. "We found one."

The Hollow stepped closer. The Father lowered his head. Seris began to cry. Aurelia smiled. And somewhere behind them all, Seraphine whispered in horror:

"She has broken the rules."

The Dreamer looked at Amelia one last time — and then, for the first time since she'd appeared, she smiled. Not with cruelty.

With relief.

"Finally."

The door widened, and from the empty world beyond it, a heartbeat began. Once. Twice. A third time.

A new world was waiting to be born.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog