Chapter 38 — The Warning Beyond the Door
The door disappeared.
Not closed.
Disappeared.
A second ago Amelia could still see Eleanor standing behind her, one hand resting on the old wooden frame, her silver eyes fixed on Amelia with an expression that felt both like a warning and a farewell.
The next second—
There isn't anything.
Just darkness.
Amelia stood frozen.
Adrian's hand was still holding hers.
Neither of them spoke.
Then he pulled her slowly, closer.
"Amelia."
He looked at her. "What?"
"Don't listen to that."
His heart clenched.
"That's my grandmother."
"Is it true?"
The question left him speechless.
Adrian stared at where the door had stood.
"I don't know anymore."
"You said he was just a memory."
"I said I don't know what he is."
"And now?"
He shook his head.
"Now I don't know what it really is."
Amelia almost laughed.
Her voice came out trembling.
"Just like me."
The darkness around them moved.
A pale line appeared beneath their feet.
Then one more.
A path is formed.
Not towards the world behind the door.
Get away from him.
Adrian looked at him. "We have to move."
"Where to?"
The path stretched into darkness.
"I don't know."
He sighed.
"Of course."
They started walking.
The further they went, the quieter the place felt.
There is no door.
No sound.
No memories.
Only the sound of their own footsteps.
After a few minutes, Amelia finally broke the silence.
"Why did Eleanor say I shouldn't trust you?"
Adrian stopped.
He also stopped.
Adrian turned to face him.
"I don't know."
"Do you believe him?"
"I believe that something has used his voice."
"That's not what I asked."
He turned his face away.
"Yes."
The answer hurt more than he expected.
"You don't trust yourself."
"No."
"Why?"
He looked at his own hands.
"Because there are too many versions of me."
Amelia stepped closer.
"But there's only one standing here."
"Are you sure?"
He frowned. "What do you mean?"
Her silver eyes met his.
"I remember another Adrian."
"The one with the black blade."
"Yes."
"The one who chose Hollow."
"Yes."
"How is he?"
"I remember what he felt."
Amelia waited.
"He's not evil."
His expression softened.
"He's scared."
Adrian nodded.
"He believed that if he controlled everything, no one would be able to take anything away from him again."
"That sounds like someone I know."
A faint smile appeared on his face.
"Unfortunately so."
He smiled back.
Then the smile disappeared.
"You think you can be him."
"Sometimes."
"Will you be him?"
He didn't answer.
The silence was enough of an answer.
Amelia raised her hand, touching her cheek.
"Then I won't let it happen."
His eyes softened.
"You can't promise something like that."
"I can promise I will remind you."
"Reminds of what?"
"Who you really are."
The darkness trembled.
A voice was heard from the front.
A door opened.
Amelia turned around.
Another door stood in the distance.
This time it's white.
Without symbols.
Keyless.
Without handle.
Only one word was engraved on its surface.
Eleanor.
Adrian's body stiffened.
"No."
Amelia looked at him. "That's his name."
"I know."
"Then why are you afraid?"
He stared at it. "Because it's no ordinary door."
"Then what is it?"
"Memory trap."
He frowned. "How did you know?"
"I've seen something like that before."
"Where?"
"Inside the Veil."
He stepped closer to the door.
"When I was a Guardian, they used that to prevent us from remembering things we weren't supposed to know."
Amelia's heartbeat was getting faster.
"And if we open it?"
"You will remember."
"Everything?"
"No."
His expression darkened.
"Just what someone wanted to remind you of."
Amelia stared at the door.
Then looked back at him.
"Then we won't open it."
Adrian nodded.
They turned to leave.
The door opened by itself.
Eleanor's voice came from behind him.
"Amelia."
He stopped.
His breath hitched.
"Grandma?"
Adrian grabbed her hand. "Don't."
But Eleanor spoke again.
"He lied to you."
Amelia closed her eyes.
Adrian froze.
"About what?"
The silence lasted for a few seconds.
Then:
"About how you first met."
Amelia opened her eyes.
"What?"
Adrian stared at the door.
Her face turned pale.
"He's right."
Amelia slowly turned to face him.
"What do you mean?"
"You didn't meet me in the west corridor."
Her heart started to race.
"What are you talking about?"
"I found you there."
"It's the same."
"No."
His voice was soft.
"I've been watching you long before that night."
Amelia looked at him. "How long?"
He didn't answer.
"Adrian."
"Since you were seventeen."
His mouth felt dry.
"You're watching me?"
"Protecting you."
"From what?"
He stared at the door.
"From myself."
The words fell like ice.
Amelia took a step back.
"What does it mean?"
Adrian closed his eyes.
"I shouldn't have loved you."
Lonely.
"Why?"
"Because I promised Eleanor that I would never let Veil recognize you."
"But he still recognized me."
"Yes."
"And you knew it would happen."
"I guessed it."
"That's why you're there."
"Yes."
"It's not because my grandmother asked you to watch over me."
His eyes opened.
"No."
Amelia felt something crack inside her.
"So what?"
Adrian stepped towards him.
"Because Eleanor asked me to stay close enough to stop you."
"Stop me from what?"
"From remembering."
The door behind them began to glow.
Eleanor's voice came back.
"Because once you remember who you used to be..."
Amelia turned around.
"...you will remember who Adrian is to you."
The door opened wider.
Behind it is not Eleanor.
But Amelia herself.
Young.
Seventeen years.
Standing beside young Adrian.
But they are not strangers.
They held hands.
Amelia's breath stopped.
He looked at Adrian.
Her face was completely pale.
"I know these memories exist."
"Have you seen it?"
"Very."
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"Because I'm scared."
"Afraid of what?"
He stared at the younger versions of the two of them.
"That you will remember loving me before you ever met me."
The memories swirl.
Young Amelia looked directly at them.
His eyes met the eyes of an older version of himself.
Then he smiled.
And whispered:
"You're back."
The door closed with a bang.
Adrian staggered.
Amelia caught him.
"What does it mean?"
He shook his head.
"I don't know."
But deep inside his mind, something had begun to awaken.
A memory.
A feeling.
A promise he never made in this life.
And one sentence, spoken in his own young voice, slowly crept into his mind:
I promise I will find you again.
Amelia looked at Adrian.
He stared back at her with equal awareness.
They did not meet for the first time at Blackwood Manor.
They had met before.
And whatever had happened between them back then—
someone has spent years making sure they forget it.

Comments
Post a Comment