Skip to main content

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 40

   Chapter 40 — The Night They Were Forgotten Something behind the door was burning. Amelia couldn't understand what she was seeing. A younger version of himself stood in the middle of the collapsed room, blood streaking down one side of his face, one hand clutched tightly in Adrian's. Beside him, Adrian looked only eighteen years old. Her clothes were torn. Her silver eyes gleamed with fear. And behind them— something enormous is burning. That's not fire. It has no flame. There is no smoke. It burned with white light surrounded by absolute darkness, as if two opposing worlds had been forced together and neither remained intact. Amelia whispered, "What is that?" Adrian didn't answer. He stared at the younger version of himself. "I remember this." "Then tell me." "I can't." "Why?" "Because this is the part they have taken from me." The black door remained open. The memories behind it continue. Young Amelia t...

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 39

  

Chapter 39 — The Promise They Forgot

The silence after the trap of memories felt different.

Heavier.

Amelia stood with her hand still holding Adrian's, unable to take her eyes off him.

"I promise I will find you again."

Her young voice still echoed in his mind.

Adrian seemed to hear it too.

"You remember something," he said.

He swallowed. "A promise."

His expression hardened.

"Me too."

"What do you remember?"

He stared into the darkness.

"Not enough."

"Then let's find the rest."

He turned to her.

"Amelia—"

"No more forgetting."

Something flashed in his eyes.

Then the ground beneath them changed.

The black surface split into thin circles of silver light.

An open memory.

None of them chose it.

They just fall into it.


Amelia is seventeen years old again.

Standing in the garden of Blackwood Manor.

The summer sun warmed the cobblestone path. The trees were green, the windows were bright, and somewhere inside Eleanor's house, a soft melody was humming.

Amelia lowered her head.

He was holding a letter.

Familiar handwriting filled the page.

Her grandmother's writing.

"When the door opens, don't trust the first person who claims to know who you really are."

Young Amelia folded the letter.

Then he looked towards the garden gate.

Adrian stood there.

He is younger.

No silver cracks under the skin.

Without a sword at his waist.

Only a young man in a dark robe, watched him from the shadows.

Amelia's heart skipped a beat.

"You come."

"You said you would call."

"I can't."

"Why?"

He looked towards the house.

"Grandma knows."

Adrian stepped closer.

"Then we don't have much time."

"Will they come?"

"Yes."

"How much longer?"

"Three days."

Young Amelia looked scared.

"Then what should we do?"

Adrian reached into his robe.

He took out the silver ring.

The same ring.

The same crescent moon and seven stars.

He held it out.

"Take it."

He was doubtful.

"What's its function?"

"He remembers."

"Remember what?"

"We."

The memories are blurry.

Amelia looked at herself taking the ring.

As soon as the ring touched his palm, a silver light spread throughout the garden.

He and Adrian both looked up.

A door appeared among the trees.

Not the door at Blackwood Manor.

Different doors.

Smaller.

White.

Young Amelia looked at him.

"Is that the way to Elarion?"

Adrian shook his head.

"No."

"Then where to?"

"A place in between."

He frowned.

"Why do we have to go there?"

"Because that's the only place they can't follow."

"Who?"

Adrian didn't answer.

Then Eleanor's voice was heard from inside the house.

"Amelia!"

Young Amelia turned around.

Her grandmother was standing on the porch.

Her face was pale.

"Come in."

Amelia turned back to Adrian.

He shook his head.

"Don't."

Young Amelia instead stepped closer to him.

"I will not leave you."

"You have to."

"No."

"Amelia."

He held her hand.

"I've made my choice."

The memories froze.

Amelia watched as the two younger versions of themselves stood under the summer sun.

Their hands intertwined.

Their faces were scared.

But steady.

Then the memories shifted.

The park is on fire.

Eleanor stood in front of the white door.

Adrian fell to his knees, blood pouring from his mouth.

Amelia cried.

"Please."

Eleanor held the ring.

"You promised me."

"I know."

"You can't stay."

"I can."

"No."

Eleanor looked at him.

"If you stay, Veil will recognize it."

Adrian's eyes turned to Amelia.

"I know."

"And if Veil recognizes him, he will go after him."

He looked at Eleanor.

"Then I will protect him."

"Even if he hates you for it?"

Long silence.

"Yes."

The memories shattered into pieces.


Amelia gasped.

He was again in darkness.

Adrian stood beside her, his breath ragged.

"You knew me before Blackwood Manor," he whispered.

"Yes."

"You know I'm part of the Veil."

"Yes."

"You protect me."

"Yes."

"Then why did you make me forget it?"

His eyes were closed.

"Because I promised your grandmother."

"To protect me."

"To protect you from me."

He stepped closer.

"Why are you dangerous?"

He opened his eyes.

"Because I shouldn't love you."

Amelia felt her chest tighten.

"But you did it anyway."

"Yes."

"Even before I remember you."

"Yes."

The ring on his finger began to glow.

A new memory comes to the surface.

Not theirs.

Eleanor's.

He stood in the west corridor, older now, exhausted, holding the ring in both hands.

Adrian stood in front of him.

"You have to make him forget."

"I know."

"He will hate you."

"I know."

"He will probably never forgive you."

Her voice broke.

"I know."

Eleanor stepped closer.

"And if he remembers it again?"

Adrian stared at the hidden door.

"Then I will find it again."

The memories fade.

Amelia's eyes filled with tears.

"You kept your promise."

Adrian looked at him. "Which promise?"

He touched the ring.

"The one I made first."

His brows furrowed.

"I promise I will find you again."

Her expression changed.

Slowly.

Like someone who had finally heard the end of a story he had carried for half his life.

Then the darkness around them cracked.

A voice emerged from somewhere beyond those memories.

Not Eleanor.

Not the Dreamer.

Not Hollow.

A cold and unfamiliar voice.

"You were never supposed to remember any of this."

Adrian unsheathed the blade that had reformed in his hand.

Amelia turned to face the darkness.

"Who are you?"

The voice laughed softly.

"The one who makes sure you forget."

A door appeared.

Black.

Filled with silver marks.

And from behind him came another voice.

A voice that Amelia immediately recognized.

Seraphine.

"Open it."

Adrian stepped in front of Amelia.

"No."

The door started to shake.

Seraphine's laughter grew louder.

"Because once you remember everything..."

The key is broken.

"...you will remember why Eleanor was so afraid of your love."

The door opened.

And on the other side stood the two of them—

young, covered in blood, holding each other's hands—

while something enormous burned behind them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog