Skip to main content

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 50

   Chapter 50 — The Face of Betrayal Adrian's hand slipped out of hers. " Adrian! " She caught his wrist before the dark could finish taking him, and felt his fingers go cold under her grip, cold in a way that had nothing to do with temperature. Then the false Amelia stepped between them, unhurried, certain. "Don't." Amelia stared at her. The same eyes stared back. The same face, down to the small scar beneath the left shoulder that Amelia had carried since childhood and never once told anyone the real story of. But something in it was wrong. Something missing, some small essential thing that Amelia couldn't name and didn't need to, because she could feel the absence of it like a held note that never resolved. The woman smiled — Amelia's own smile, worn on someone else's certainty. "You already know which one of us is real." Amelia's grip tightened on Adrian's cold hand. "Then tell me." "I don't need to....

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 42

  

Chapter 42 — The Crown That Loved Too Much

The darkness exploded.

Amelia screamed as black and white lights swirled around her, intertwining above her head.

The crown appears.

Not solid.

Not broken.

Life.

It hovered inches above him, changing shape with each pulse—sometimes a crown, sometimes a halo, sometimes something resembling a pair of hands reaching out toward him.

Adrian grabbed his shoulder.

"Amelia!"

He looked at her.

Her eyes are silver.

But the fear has returned there.

"What happened?"

"The crown."

"I know it."

"No." He shook his head. "He's awake."

The crown spoke in his mind.

Mine.

Amelia gasped.

Adrian felt it.

"What did he say?"

"That I belong to him."

The crown was pulsating.

Ours.

"No," Amelia whispered.

The light tightened around him.

Adrian tried to pull him back.

The crown pushed him away.

He fell into darkness.

"Adrian!"

He struggled to stand.

"I'm fine."

He is not okay.

Blood appeared at the corner of his mouth.

Amelia turned to face the Crown.

"Let him go."

The crown remained silent.

Then:

Love must remain.

Amelia's breath hitched.

"What does it mean?"

Eleanor stepped forward.

"It means exactly what you fear."

Amelia looked at him.

"Do you know."

"I guessed it."

"Everyone always suspects."

Eleanor's face hardened.

"But I never understood how far it could go."

Cael stepped into the light.

"Now you know."

Adrian raised his hand.

A silver sword of light formed.

Cael smiled.

"You can't fight the Crown."

"I'm not fighting the Crown."

Adrian's eyes were fixed on her.

"I'm fighting you."

He moves.

Cael raised one hand.

Adrian froze in midair.

Her body was locked.

"Adrian!"

Amelia reached for it.

The crown was sparkling.

Cael let go of him.

Adrian fell hard to the ground.

Amelia ran towards him.

"Are you hurt?"

He pushed his body to get up.

"I'm fine."

"Stop saying that."

A faint smile crossed his face.

"I'm starting to think you're starting to sound like me."

He almost smiled.

Then the Crown spoke again.

He will leave you.

Amelia froze.

Adrian stared at him. "What?"

"You heard it."

"I heard."

He will go.

Adrian's expression darkened.

The crown continued.

He's always gone.

Amelia's chest felt tight.

Flashes of memories flashed through his mind.

Adrian walked away.

Adrian is dying.

Adrian chose another world.

Adrian disappeared into the Veil.

Every possible ending.

Every fear he ever carried.

The crown showed him everything.

"Stop it."

He will hurt you.

"No."

He will die.

"Stop it."

You will be alone.

Amelia screamed.

"I told you STOP!"

The whole room was shaking.

The crown is cracked.

Cael staggered back.

Eleanor covered her ears.

Adrian looked at Amelia.

And Amelia understood.

The crown wasn't trying to convince her to love Adrian.

He was trying to make her afraid of losing him.

Afraid.

The same thing that created the Veil.

The same thing that created the Hollow prison.

The same thing that destroyed the First World.

He looked at the Crown.

"You don't love me."

Lonely.

"You're afraid of losing me."

The crown vibrated.

"That's not love."

The black and white light flashed wildly.

Love is holding back.

"No."

Love is never losing.

"No."

Love is possession.

Amelia shook her head.

"That's fear."

The crown was silent.

Adrian slowly stood beside her.

"Amelia."

He looked at her.

"Do you trust me?"

He nodded.

"Yes."

"Even if I let go?"

Her expression changed.

"Yes."

He let go of her hand.

As soon as their fingers separated, the Crown screamed.

Not with anger.

With horror.

Every light in the room went out.

Cael stepped back.

"What are you doing?"

Amelia stared at the Crown.

"I gave him something he never understood."

"What's that?"

"Freedom."

The crown shriveled.

For the first time, he looked small.

Almost fragile.

Then he whispered:

Do not leave me.

Amelia's heart was broken.

"You don't have to have me for me to stay."

The crown vibrated.

"Love doesn't mean you have the right to keep someone."

The black light began to fade.

"Love means they choose to stay."

Adrian stepped closer.

"I choose you."

The crown glowed brighter.

But Amelia raised one hand.

"No."

He stopped.

He smiled at her.

"Let me choose you too."

He understands.

He took her hand.

This time, neither of them was forced.

Their fingers touched.

The crown changed.

The black fades to silver.

Silver turns white.

Then something completely new appeared at its center.

A small flame.

Warm.

Human.

The crown uttered one final word.

Choose.

Amelia closed her eyes.

"I choose."

The flame entered his chest.

He gasped.

Adrian caught him.

For a second, nothing happened.

Then the whole room was filled with light.

Cael fell to his knees.

Eleanor covered her face.

The shadows disappeared.

And far away, beyond the worlds, something screamed.

Not the Crown.

Not Hollow.

Something older.

Cael looked up in horror.

"No."

Amelia opened her eyes.

"What?"

He stared into the darkness.

"You didn't tame the Crown."

"Then what do I do?"

Cael's voice trembled.

"You taught him how to love."

Adrian looked at Amelia.

The crown disappeared.

But the thread between them remains.

Not silver.

Not black.

A warm golden line.

Cael stood up slowly.

"And now he can choose."

Amelia's heart clenched.

"Choose what?"

Her eyes met his.

"Who will be destroyed."

The ground beneath them cracked.

Eleanor's face paled.

Adrian held Amelia's hand.

From somewhere outside the room came a voice.

Not a Crown.

Not Hollow.

Not Seraphine.

A voice that sounded almost like a child.

I choose you.

The golden thread tightened suddenly.

And Amelia realized with sudden horror—

The crown has just made its first independent choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog