Chapter 46 — The One Beneath the Worlds
The darkness erupted.
Amelia barely had time to breathe before the floor vanished beneath her.
"Amelia!"
Adrian caught her wrist. The dark surged around them, swallowing stone, soldiers, broken pillars — everything except the two of them. For one terrifying second she felt herself falling, and then his arms locked around her.
"I've got you."
She looked up, his face inches from hers. "You'd better."
"I always do."
The darkness climbed higher. Seraphine screamed something Amelia couldn't hear anymore. Eleanor's light flashed once and vanished. Cael disappeared behind a wall of black.
Only Adrian remained.
Then the darkness stopped — not defeated, but noticing them. A massive eye opened beneath their feet, unlike any human eye. It was a world: a vast sphere of silver and black ringed with ancient light.
Amelia's breath caught. "What is that?"
"I don't know."
The eye blinked, and reality trembled. A voice filled her mind.
"You know me."
She froze. "No."
"You have always known me."
Images flooded her — a child beneath a strange sky, a woman crying beside a dying star, a kingdom burning, the first doorway opening between worlds. Then a Crown — not the one she knew, something older buried beneath it. The First People knelt before a black ocean, faces hidden behind silver masks, and behind them stood a figure — tall, featureless, made entirely of darkness.
They weren't worshipping it. They were afraid of it.
One of the First People raised the original Crown. "Seal it."
The figure laughed. "You cannot seal what created you."
The vision shattered. Amelia gasped, and Adrian steadied her. "What did you see?"
"The First People."
"Are they still alive?"
"No." She looked at the enormous eye. "But something they were afraid of is."
"Not afraid," the voice returned. "They remembered."
The darkness rose. Seraphine appeared at the edge of the collapsing chamber, dragging Eleanor with her. "Amelia!"
Adrian raised his sword. "Stay back!"
She ignored him. "You have to listen to me."
"Why should I?"
"Because I've spent my whole life trying to prevent this."
"You knew," Amelia said.
"I knew there was something beneath the worlds."
"Why didn't you tell us?"
"Because no one would have believed me."
Cael stumbled into view behind her, blood running from his forehead. "I believe her."
"Cael..." Eleanor said.
He shook his head. "The old records weren't destroyed."
"What records?" Amelia asked.
"About the First World." He looked at the darkness. "It wasn't the first world."
Silence.
"Then what was it?" Adrian asked.
Cael looked at Amelia. "A refuge."
Her stomach tightened. "From what?"
He didn't answer. The thing beneath them did.
"From me."
The chamber shook. Seraphine dropped to one knee, and the soldiers behind her fled as the darkness rose higher, filling half the room. A shape began forming inside it — a hand, a shoulder, a head, a face.
There was no mouth. No eyes. And yet Amelia knew it was looking at her.
"You have a name," she whispered.
"I have had many."
"Which one is yours?"
"The one you gave me."
Her heart stopped. "I've never seen you before."
"Not in this life."
A cold sensation moved through her. Adrian stepped in front of her. "Stay away from her."
The creature looked at him. "You again."
He froze. "What?"
"You always stand between us."
The older Adrian appeared behind them, his face gone white. "No."
The creature turned to him. "And you always fail."
His weapon slipped from his hand. "You've seen it before," Amelia said to him.
He nodded slowly. "In my world."
"What happened?"
"You woke it."
"But she didn't have the Crown," the younger Adrian said, gripping his sword tighter.
"She didn't need it." Grief filled the older man's eyes. "The Crown was never the key."
Amelia looked at the gold mark on her palm. "Then what am I?"
"The door," the creature answered.
The word echoed through every world. Something moved inside Amelia's chest — not the Crown. Something deeper. A memory she'd never lived. A heartbeat that wasn't hers.
She dropped to her knees. "Amelia!" Adrian knelt beside her.
She grabbed his coat. "I can hear it."
"What?"
"A heartbeat."
He pressed his hand to her chest. Nothing, at first. Then he felt it.
Thump.
His face changed. Another followed.
Thump.
Slower than hers. Older. Coming from somewhere beneath her.
He looked at Cael. "Tell me that's not what I think it is."
Cael couldn't speak. Eleanor whispered the answer. "She's carrying a fragment of it."
"Since when?" Amelia asked, horrified.
"Since the night you first crossed worlds."
The memory hit her like lightning — Blackwood Manor, the first doorway, the strange voice, a shadow reaching through the Veil. A hand touching hers. A whisper she'd forgotten.
"I'll see you again."
She stared into the darkness. "You were there."
"I was always there."
Seraphine stepped back. "No."
"What?" Amelia turned to her.
Every trace of color left Seraphine's face. "I know what you are now."
"What is she?" Adrian demanded.
Seraphine looked at Amelia — not with hatred. With fear. "The First People didn't build the Crown to imprison the creature." She pointed at Amelia. "They built it to imprison her."
Silence.
"What?" Amelia couldn't breathe.
"It wasn't locking something beneath the worlds." Seraphine's voice broke. "It was locking the part of it that was already inside you."
The darkness smiled without a mouth. "Now you remember."
Amelia's knees weakened. The gold mark on her palm split open, and black light poured out. Adrian reached for her — this time the darkness didn't attack him. It only whispered.
"Let her come home."
Amelia looked at him. He wasn't afraid of the creature. He was afraid of losing her.
She took his hand, their fingers lacing together. "No."
The darkness paused. She stood. "I don't care what I was before." Black light crawled up her arm. "I don't care what they made me."
Adrian stepped beside her. "And I don't care what you want."
The creature's enormous eye opened wider. "You cannot stop what you are."
"Maybe not." Amelia squeezed his hand. "But I can choose what I become."
For the first time, the creature went silent, and the darkness began to retreat — not defeated, but afraid.
"Why is it backing away?" Cael asked.
"Because she chose herself," the older Adrian said.
"No," Seraphine said, shaking her head, staring at Amelia's hand. "The choice didn't repel it." Her voice trembled. "It woke her."
Amelia looked down. The gold mark was gone. In its place, a single black symbol, and beneath it words in a language older than any world.
Cael stepped closer. "I can read it."
"What does it say?"
His face drained of color. "It says—"
He swallowed.
THE LAST DOOR HAS OPENED.
The chamber went dark, and somewhere beyond the Veil, every world began to hear Amelia's heartbeat.

Comments
Post a Comment