Skip to main content

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 50

   Chapter 50 — The Face of Betrayal Adrian's hand slipped out of hers. " Adrian! " She caught his wrist before the dark could finish taking him, and felt his fingers go cold under her grip, cold in a way that had nothing to do with temperature. Then the false Amelia stepped between them, unhurried, certain. "Don't." Amelia stared at her. The same eyes stared back. The same face, down to the small scar beneath the left shoulder that Amelia had carried since childhood and never once told anyone the real story of. But something in it was wrong. Something missing, some small essential thing that Amelia couldn't name and didn't need to, because she could feel the absence of it like a held note that never resolved. The woman smiled — Amelia's own smile, worn on someone else's certainty. "You already know which one of us is real." Amelia's grip tightened on Adrian's cold hand. "Then tell me." "I don't need to....

Love Between Two Worlds - Chapter 49

  

Chapter 49 — The Man in the Darkness

Every star went dark.

For one terrible moment there was nothing — no light, no sound, no worlds. Only Amelia and Adrian standing at the center of the ruined chamber.

Then a single star appeared above him. Silver. It pulsed once.

Thump.

The second heartbeat answered.

Thump.

Adrian dropped to one knee.

"Adrian!" Amelia ran toward him, but the First King stepped in her way.

"Don't touch him."

"Move."

"He's changing."

"I know."

"You don't understand what that means."

She shoved past him. "I don't care."

She reached Adrian's side. His head hung low, silver hair falling across his face, dark wings stretching behind him wider now, disappearing into the darkness beyond the chamber.

"Adrian?"

His fingers moved. He looked up slowly — his eyes silver, but still his.

"Amelia."

She dropped beside him. "I'm here."

"I know." His voice shook. "But you shouldn't be."

"Why?"

He looked down at his own hands. "Because I can feel it."

"The creature?"

He nodded. "It's inside me."

The First King raised his sword. "Then kill him."

Amelia spun around. "What?"

"Before it takes him completely."

"No."

"You don't have time."

"I said no."

He stepped closer. "You've seen what happens when it finishes."

"I've seen what happens when people decide someone's fate for them." Her voice hardened. "I'm not doing that."

The older Adrian grabbed the King's arm. "She's right."

"You know what comes next," the King said.

"I do."

"Then you know what must be done."

The older man's eyes moved to his younger self. "I know what I did."

Silence.

"What did you do?" the younger Adrian asked.

He couldn't answer. Amelia stood. "Tell him."

The older Adrian closed his eyes. "In my world, the creature entered him the same way." Adrian's expression shifted. "And you killed me."

"No." He met his younger self's eyes. "You killed yourself. You thought you were saving her — that severing the bond was the only way to stop it."

Cold moved through Amelia. "And did it work?"

He shook his head. "No. It only taught the creature what love was."

Cael stared. "That's why it wants them together."

The First King nodded. "It learned that love creates choices."

"And choices create power," Eleanor whispered.

The creature spoke through Adrian.

"Not power."

Everyone froze.

"Freedom."

His body jerked. Amelia grabbed his hand.

"Adrian!"

His fingers closed around hers, and the darkness stopped moving instantly. The wings folded. The black veins under his skin faded.

"It responds to her," Cael whispered.

"No," Seraphine said, looking at their joined hands. "It responds to the choice between them."

"Choose," the creature said again.

"No," Amelia said.

"Choose him." The darkness around Adrian brightened. "Or lose him."

She looked into his eyes. He was fighting it — she could see that much.

"Don't listen."

"I'm trying."

"Stay with me."

"I am."

The creature pushed harder. Adrian screamed, a wave of darkness exploding out of him and throwing her backward.

"Amelia!" He tried to reach for her, wings spreading violently — then the darkness swallowed his face.

"Adrian!"

His body went still. The silver left his eyes.

Black replaced it.

The older Adrian stepped forward. "No."

The creature lifted Adrian's head. "This time, you will choose correctly."

The older man froze. "You."

"You remember me." It smiled through the younger face. "I remember everything."

His hand tightened on his weapon. "You killed her."

"No." It tilted Adrian's head. "You did."

The older man stopped breathing.

Amelia stood slowly. "What is it talking about?"

He didn't look at her. "In my world... I killed Amelia."

Her blood ran cold. "You said she survived."

"I lied."

The black eyes turned toward him. "You killed her to save the worlds."

"No."

"You chose the worlds."

His weapon fell from his hand. "And I was wrong."

"What happened to her?" Amelia asked.

He finally met her eyes. "I couldn't bring her back."

Then the younger Adrian spoke, straining against the dark. "You're lying."

Everyone turned.

"She didn't die."

"What?" the older man said.

"I can see her." His eyes flashed silver for a moment. "The other Amelia. She's alive."

The creature roared, and the chamber tore apart.

"The Veil!" Cael screamed.

A massive crack split open behind Adrian, and through it Amelia saw another world — a ruined city under a black sky, towers burning, and a woman standing in the middle of it.

Amelia. Older. Scarred. Wearing a broken Crown.

She looked directly through the crack, straight into Amelia's eyes, and raised one hand. The same black symbol marked her palm. She mouthed four words Amelia couldn't hear but understood anyway.

Don't trust Adrian.

Amelia froze.

"No," the older Adrian whispered.

The creature laughed, and the younger Adrian screamed. "Don't believe her!"

"Why?" Amelia turned to him, and his silver eyes were full of terror.

"Because that's not Amelia."

The woman through the crack smiled — her skin darkening, her eyes turning entirely black, something vast unfolding into wings behind her.

Amelia stepped back.

"Now you understand," the creature said through Adrian once more.

The false Amelia stepped through the crack. "I don't need to possess him." Her eyes found Amelia's. "I only need you to choose him."

The crack sealed shut behind her, and for the first time Amelia understood — the creature had never been trying to take Adrian.

It had been trying to make her trust the wrong version of him.

The woman smiled, and whispered:

"Hello, Amelia."

And Adrian's hand slipped from hers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog